What: One of the most beautiful towns in Alaska sitting at the south end of the Kenai Peninsula. Includes many amazing activities including fishing, hiking, camping, eating & drinking.
When to go: Ideally accessed in the summer months between May and October.
How to get there: https://goo.gl/maps/ZLexmEbLKpEM48cs7
- Homer has some of the most stunning views directly from town; it’s worth trying to book a cabin early that looks across the bay towards the mountains of Kachemak Bay
- It’s worth taking a water taxi across the bay to explore the Kachemak Bay area; you can take a boat to eat lunch at Halibut Cove, taking the ferry to explore Seldovia, or even take a tour to hike to Grewingk glacier
- Homer is a very popular spot for deepsea halibut fishing; some charters can go several hours out into the ocean to really find some big halibut
- There are many shops, restaurants, and bars along the “homer spit”; the Salty Dawg saloon is definitely worth checking out with dollar bills on the walls ranging back 50+ years
- There are great breweries, wineries, and restaurants in the area worth checking out as well